Companies such as Microsoft, Apple, Google and Intel are fixing global CPU vulnerabilities "blinding" and "ghost" fears that the industry will be permanently depressing its PC speed after being patched. According to the latest news from foreign media, on Tuesday, Microsoft confirmed speculation from the outside world and said the older the personal computer, the more obvious the performance decline.
Intel, AMD and other companies this time can not be directly through the firmware upgrade to patch the central processor loopholes, Microsoft, Apple and other operating system developers to become the main force to fix loopholes in recent days, companies have introduced a large number of patches.
According to Reuters, January 9, Microsoft's official document pointed out that the patch to repair blown and ghost vulnerabilities has led to the decline in personal computer and server performance, where the use of older Intel processors, the computer, the user can notice the performance decline.
Microsoft said that if the computer was shipped in 2015 or later, and before the operating system running Windows 10, users will see the system running slower.
Recently, a number of media said that Microsoft released the patch package, resulting in a computer equipped with AMD processors, "turned into bricks," Microsoft officials also confirmed the matter.
Melson, Microsoft's chief operating Windows business, said under the confidentiality agreement, Microsoft and other industry players learned of the existence of these two vulnerabilities a few months ago, then began to develop various technical programs and patches, while Microsoft's cloud computing Upgrade the infrastructure.
In the fusibility and ghost vulnerabilities, hackers can circumvent the operating system restrictions, access to restricted storage area of the computer, access to important information, such as encrypted user account password and so on.
This is an industry-wide technology loophole involving Intel, AMD, ARM and many other companies, of which the fuse vulnerabilities mainly related to Intel's processor.
In a speech at the CIA this Monday, Intel Chief Executive Officer Cogic said that 90% of the processors sold in the past five years will be patched up for holes this week and the remaining 10% will be patched in January carry out.
Section further odd also confirmed that patch loopholes will have an impact on the speed of the computer, but the specific impact depends on the computer to complete the processing operations.
At present, all major vendors are still in the process of stepping up the development of patch kits, and have not conducted very accurate measurements on the computer spin-off after patching.
Microsoft exec Myerson also said that with Microsoft's own tests, computers using Intel's 2016 processor showed a "one-digit" drop in performance (under 10%) after the bug fix.
Myerson also said that fixes for ghost vulnerabilities affect computer speed even more.
Apple also introduced patches to its smartphones, PCs and other products, but Apple has yet to release definitive information on the slowdown.
The slowdown is currently a very sensitive topic for Apple. In the past month, Apple broke the global speed gate scandal, consumers accused Apple in order to improve the sales of new phones, deliberately on the new phone before the sale of the performance of the old phone.
Apple publicly apologized, and will replace the battery cost reduced by two-thirds. However, consumers around the world have initiated nearly 30 claims against Apple. The incident has become Apple's worst product quality accident and consumer negative public opinion one of the events.