Amazon said in a statement that the program will help employees gain training opportunities to compete in highly skilled technical and non-technical positions in the company's internal offices, technology centers, fulfillment centers, retail stores and transportation networks, or Expand your career path outside of Amazon.
Amazon's retraining program will include:
1) Amazon Technical Academy, providing non-technical employees with the skills to transition to a software engineering career;
2) Associate2Tech, training the staff of the fulfillment center to enter the technical position;
3) Machine Learning University provides opportunities for employees with technical backgrounds to acquire machine learning skills;
4) Amazon Career Choice, a prepaid tuition program designed to train fulfillment center employees to pursue high-demand careers of their choice;
5) Amazon Apprentiesship, a US Department of Labor-certified program that provides paid intensive classroom training;
6) AWS training and certification to provide employees with a curriculum to build practical AWS cloud knowledge.
According to the Wall Street Journal, Amazon's planned project is one of the largest corporate retraining programs announced to date, with a cost of approximately $7,000 per employee and an overall cost of approximately $700 million.