Home > News content

Did the United States achieve its goal? More than 40 suppliers went to the United States with TSMC

via:新浪科技     time:2022/12/4 20:02:11     readed:79

Although the United States is the largest chipmaker in the world, accounting for nearly 50 percent of the global chip market, in fact, the United States also depends on TSMC chip manufacturing.

According to the agency's data, at present, TSMC alone accounts for 90% of the chips below 7nm, the remaining 10% is taken by Samsung, and the United States in the market below 7nm, the share is basically 0.

To this end, we see that the chips of Apple, Qualcomm, AMD, Broadcom, Nvidia, etc., are mostly made by TSMC.

Because of this, the United States has been hoping TSMC to build a factory in the United States for two purposes. On the one hand, the United States hopes to make chips in the United States and revive the chip manufacturing industry.

In addition, the most important thing is that a leading wafer can drive the upstream and downstream industrial chains, which will also surround TSMC. In this way, attracting a TSMC can almost attract the whole industrial chain.

In the early stage, TSMC always wanted to be neutral and refused the request to build a factory in the United States, but in 2020, it finally agreed to build a 5nm plant in Arizona, the United States. The current construction progress is as expected, and the machine has been put into the plant for intense commissioning work. The trial production will be in 2023, and the mass production will start in 2024, with a monthly capacity of 20,000 pieces.

For this reason TSMC is planning to send thousands of engineers to the US. These engineers went to the US with their families, because the US will issue green cards, so maybe they don't plan to come back.

Even according to TSMC, a 3nm plant will be built later and more engineers will be sent there. This means the US has achieved its first goal of reviving chip manufacturing by making chips locally.

And now it seems that the US can also achieve the second purpose, because according to media reports, TSMC's operation in the US has indeed attracted upstream and downstream supply chains.

So far, it has 40 suppliers working with TSMC, and these suppliers have set up shop near the company's wafer plant in Arizona to provide services for TSMC.

With the continuous increase of TSMC's subsequent production capacity, there will be more and more of these suppliers, eventually forming or even forming a complete industrial chain.

What do you think about that? In my opinion, this is not good news for Taiwan Province, which means that TSMC and even Taiwan's semiconductor industry chain are slowly being hollowed out by the United States and transferred to the United States.

The most powerful industry in Taiwan Province is the semiconductor industry. Once the semiconductor industry is transferred, it is no longer an advantage and no other industry can top it, and the loss will be great.

translate engine: Youdao

China IT News APP

Download China IT News APP

Please rate this news

The average score will be displayed after you score.

Post comment

Do not see clearly? Click for a new code.

User comments